In order to achieve these missions, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences UNESA conducts Biology Education Undergraduate Program based on student-centered learning paradigm to produce competent, adaptive, and globally-competitive graduates in biology and biological technology education with basis in research. This is in accord to Academic Policy of Universitas Negeri Surabaya (UNESA) as established in Rector Decree No. 241/UN38/HK/KP/2014, which then was revised to be UNESA Academic Policy in Rector Decree No. 340/UN38/HK/KP/2016 to conform with newest law and regulation on higher education; Permenristekdikti No. 44 Year 2015 about National Standard of Higher Education.
21st Century skills consist of skills, abilities, and learning dispositions that have been identified as requirements for success in 21st century society and workplaces by educators, business leaders, academics, and government agencies. This is part of a growing international movement that focuses on the skills needed for students to be mastered in preparation for success in a fast-changing digital society.
Professional educators in the field of biology are one of the pillars for the formation of a society that has a set of 21st Century skills. The quality of how biology is learned and developed needs to be improved according to efforts to improve skills related to deeper learning, which are based on mastery skills such as analytic reasoning, complex problem solving, and teamwork. This skill is believed to be a success factor in the 21st century.
Curriculum development in Biology Education study programs is based on KKNI as the legal basis, as well as the SISDIKNAS law. Material content is also developed based on the direction set nationally through the Indonesian Biological Consortium (KOBI). Learning management is also carried out following the guidelines for developing and implementing the UNESA curriculum.
Graduates of Biology Education Study Program is expected to be professionals as (1) Biology educators, (2) Junior Researcher Assistants, and (3) Entrepreneurs. These three professions as study program graduate profile possess several competences as inherent attributes described in the following:
- mastery over fundamental biological and pedagogical concepts and ability to apply them in solving issues related to biology education
- ability to be continuous in self-development over biological knowledge and education both formally and informally
- mastery over scientific methods to observe, perform trial, and analyze issues of biology education and over deduction and induction methods and their application in professional carriers
- characteristic ethics, responsibility, and leadership in addition to educating skills through modern learning methodology
- ability to communicate in professional activity both in national and international level
According to Visions and Missions of Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences UNESA, specific objectives (program educational objectives/PEOs) of Biology Teacher study program are as follows:
- mastery of knowledge and methodology in biology and pedagogy and ability to apply them to solve issues in professional carrier
- ability to continually develop knowledge on biology and biological education in order to do lifelong learning both formally and informally
- mastery over scientific methods to observe, analyze, and understand issues in biology education and over induction and deduction methods and their application to support professional works
- understanding of ethics, responsibility, and leadership and ability to educate through up-to-date learning methodology
- ability to communicate in professional activities both in national and international level
PEOs of Biology Teacher study program are developed to achieve competences mastery at 6th level of KKNI. Relevance of Biology Teacher study program PEOs and 6th level competences of KKNI is reflected in Table 1, in scales of strong (S) and not strong (NS).
Table 1. Correlation of Biology Teacher study program PEOs and 6th level competences of KKNI